[Intel-gfx] i915 native backlight never got merged

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 11 21:36:38 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Ali Gholami Rudi <aliqrudi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Morton <akpm at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:53:18 -0700 Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
>> > Matthew -- shall I just merge the old patch? Or did you want to make
>> > some changes?
>>
>> I have a note here that Ali Gholami Rudi <aliqrudi at gmail.com> had issues with
>> the version I merged into -mm.
>
> Actually the patch helped me cope with another annoying problem.
> The problem is in some kernels the ACPI brightness control
> disappears.  Matthew's patches made it possible to access the
> native backlight control via sysfs, without which I couldn't
> change the brightness of my screen.  So my problem has nothing
> to do with Matthew's patches.

Since there's no known regression introduced by Matthew's patch, could
it be merged? Feel free to add a

  'Tested-by: Michel Alexandre Salim <salimma at fedoraproject.org>'

line to it. I've had to run my own kernels since I got my Sony Vaio Y2
last December, and from reports on notebookreview.com's forum, it's
affecting other Linux users of this laptop (most of them using Kamal
Mostafa's PPA)

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim