[Intel-gfx] Tiling problems on i945GM

Colin Guthrie intel at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 23 13:56:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've been suffering with this problem for a while now, but can't
specifically remember when it was introduced, but I'm currently using:
kernel: 3.0.3
mesa: 7.11
libdrm: 2.4.26
x: 1.10.4
intel: 2.16.0

The problem presents itself in a couple different ways:
 1. some tiling issues in some apps (notably firefox when scrolling) [1]
 2. Not updating the screen generally, e.g. click on an email in
thunderbird and not have the preview pane update to the new email
contents (although I know it's just a screen update issue - the email
*has* been rendered - just not displayed)

I suspect this problem relates actually more towards some compositing
problems (perhaps damage related) rather than a driver problem, but as
I've not heard anyone else complain about compositing issues, I figure
it should start my investigations here!

I am currently using gnome-shell (well, mutter I guess) for compositing
(3.1.5).

Some other points worth noting:

1. I don't seem to get quite the same problem using kwin for compsiting
under a KDE desktop.
2. Under gnome-shell, if I run gnome-terminal, it's quite often
noticeable (type a command and the previous output is not scrolled up).
Running knosole instead doesn't seem to have the same problem.
3. Connected to the above, the problem seems more apparent in gtk apps -
can't recall seeing problems under Qt. Libre office is also affected
tho' - whole buttons disappear a lot in e.g. the ooimpress wizard shown
on launch. I think Libreoffice is using gtk... don't really know it well
tho'.
4. Whenever any of this happens, triggering a screen refresh "fixes"
things. e.g. pressing the "win" key in gnome shell will zoom out and
back in again and the screen contents are fixed. Even taking a
screenshot fixes things (which makes it a pain to gather evidence!)

I appreciate this could very easily NOT be a driver issue, so consider
this my first port of call in the debug trail. The <suck up>very clever
and intelligent and enlightened</suck up> people on this list are the
obvious choice to ask for advice :D

Cheers

Col

1. http://colin.guthr.ie/screen-tiling-issue.jpg