[Intel-gfx] Fan running with Intel Graphics

Eugeni Dodonov eugeni at dodonov.net
Wed Dec 14 03:49:21 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 19:23, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org>wrote:

> If that fixes your fan issue, it
> means the GPU frequency is to blame.  I think Eugeni is working on a
> nice API to let users control perf vs power a bit better than our
> current default of "try to run as fast as possible under any load, even
> a tiny one".

Slowly, but yes :).

But so far, setting the max_frequency manually is the only way to control
this. This will make your card run on the slowest frequency at all time and
in theory should improve the power consumption.

But meanwhile, for better understanding what is going on with your machine,
could you setup some thermal sensors and check what do they say about
temperature? And also check with powertop about what is using the most
power out there?

--
Eugeni Dodonov
<http://eugeni.dodonov.net/>