[Intel-gfx] system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 01:43:37 CET 2011

Hello!

I found my system freeze mostly during starting up X and KDE. Sometimes it
works for some minutes, sometimes it freezes immediatly. When the freeze
happens, everything is dead (even the reset button does not work, I need to
power cycle).

I was using libdrm-2.4.27 before, system freeze showed some colorful lines
running down at the left side of the screen after turning black, then some
blue flicker in the top 10% of the the screen. System no longer reacts,
network is dead too.

Now, using libdrm-2.4.29, the system freeze shows other effects: Screen does
not turn black but starts to flicker and occassionally moves some
centimeters to the right (wrapping the right-most part to the left) for a
very short time, then jumping back with some distortions. The rest is the
same: Complete freeze, even reset button stops working.

Before finding out about the libdrm difference, I tried other intel xorg
driver versions to no avail, I tried with SNA support and without. No
difference. I'm now back to intel xorg driver 2.17.0.

I read about the semaphores feature, turned it off: No change. Sometimes the
system even freezes before displaying the framebuffer splash.

I didn't have such issues with early 3.2 rcs (afair), and not with 3.1
kernels. After some digging through google I've found you enabled RC6 in
3.2. I disabled it now, and my system runs wonderfully.

Do you need any specs? I'd be happy to send these. The system is a Z68 Pro
board with Sandybridge i5-2500K processor, 8 GB of RAM and UEFI firmware.
Looks like RC6 is not ready for roll-out, at least on some mainboards.

Regards,
Kai