[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: context support unit test

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Jan 4 21:10:04 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 09:31:23AM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> I'm still leaning towards explicit associate/disassociate ioctls as I
> think that will lead to a simpler userspace API (or at least integrate
> conveniently with the existing libdrm).

I don't like a separate ioctl to associate/disassociate a buffer from a
context: Conceptually there's no way to change that association without an
execbuf call. Doing the book-keeping as a separate, non-atomic ioctl calls
calls for trouble imho.

> "Minimal, consistent and difficult to misuse."

i.e. violates the "difficult to misuse" paradigm ;) My idea of a special
reloc type is probably not the cleanest (hm, slight understatement here ;)
and could need some improvement. Anyway, I'll wait and see what the real
use-case looks like. My arguments feel too hand-waivy already ...

Cheers, Daniel

Mail: daniel at ffwll.ch
Mobile: +41 (0)79 365 57 48