[Intel-gfx] External display

Christoph Lukas christoph.lukas at gmx.net
Fri Jan 14 13:38:08 CET 2011

Hi,

I am using a Dell E6410 notebook running Ubuntu. Most of the time I am
running this notebook in a docking station with closed lid and with an
external (DVI) monitor attached to the dock.

Running different kernels I see different behaviour regarding the
display configuration after boot.

Booting a 2.6.32 based kernel the internal display is turned off, the
external display is turned on and running at it's native resolution of
1920x1200.
This is what I would expect.

Booting the same system with a drm-intel-next based kernel the internal
display is turned on (although the lid is closed), the external display
is on and shows a resolution of 1024x768.

Logging into X the internal display stays on, the external display
changes resolution to 1920x1200.
I can use gnome-display-properties to turn the internal screen off.
But after each DPMS blanking the internal display is turned on again. :(

Is this some expected behaviour or should this be considered a bug?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Christoph