[Intel-gfx] enabling forcewake from userspace

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 08:11:55 CET 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 19:23:58 -0700, Ben Widawsky <ben at bwidawsk.net> wrote:
> The only other option floating around is IOCTLs to read/write the
> registers, which previously seemed like a bad idea, but is now looking
> like the only option.

The lazy option is to cross your fingers and do the forced-wake from
userspace debug tools. I'm not exactly wild about the idea, but it does
cut down on the number of blessed interfaces for touching hardware.

The other option is to continue to extend the debugfs to print out groups
of registers of interest. Maybe this would be a good addition to the
i915_*_ringbuffer_info?

An ioctl does seem to be a better longterm solution. But maybe we can
ignore the problem for a few more years? ;-)