[Intel-gfx] Bug: Display gets stuck with Linux 3.1-rc8

Alec Moskvin alecm at gmx.com
Sat Oct 1 18:55:40 CEST 2011

Hi,

I was told on #intel-gfx that this is the right place to report this
bug since the kernel bugzilla is down.

I updated my kernel from 3.0.4 to 3.1-rc8 and now anytime the display
turns off (xscreensaver, close the lid, xset dpms force off), when it
comes back up, it shows what was shown before, but the image does not
update - except the mouse pointer, which moves and changes shape
depending on what is supposed to be underneath it.

This happens when the window manager does not use compositing - I can
reproduce this with xfwm4, as well as kwin. (However, if kwin has
compositing enabled, the problem is not apparent.)

This does not happen with Linux 3.0.4.

Chipset: Arrandale
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

System architecture:
x86_64 (Core i7 M620)

xf86-video-intel:
2.16.0 (no SNA)

mesa:
7.11

xserver:
X.Org X Server 1.11.0

libdrm:
2.4.26

kernel:
Linux 3.1.0-rc8

Linux distribution:
Gentoo

Machine:
ThinkPad T410

To reproduce:
1. Install Linux 3.1-rc8
2. Start X
3. Use a non-composited window manager
4. Run "xset dpms force off" to turn off the display
5. Move mouse to get the screen back in
6. Try to interact

Workaround:
Once the display gets stuck, it can get unstuck by switching to a
console and back.

If any more info is necessary, I'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks,
Alec