[Intel-gfx] VAAPI GM45 benchmarks

Niccolò Belli darkbasic4 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 14:23:08 CEST 2011

New patches, new benchmarks
Now testing http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libva/ g45-h264 branch + patches
from vaapi/intel-driver
(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/in...og/?h=g45-h264).

Here are the 5 patches:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/in...4196ebd239bb87
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/in...2f342e4fcd13a9
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/in...a2bfa2ce06fa19
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/in...a5e036d622cbb7
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/in...87c47d821a4669

The cpu:
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU U9400 @ 1.40GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 1401.000

The sample video (89 seconds, 80 MB):
http://download3.dvdloc8.com/trailer...um_trailer.zip

Video Type: 1920×816 (1080p), 23.967 FPS, CE-Baseline profile (PS3 and
Xbox 360 compatible)

Multi threaded decoding:

mplayer2 -vc ffh264 -lavdopts threads=3 -benchmark -nosound <file>

Time elapsed: 28.313s

Single threaded decoding:

mplayer2 -vc ffh264 -lavdopts threads=1 -benchmark -nosound <file>

Time elapsed: 38.774s

vaapi with patches (kwin desktop effects ON):

mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi -benchmark -nosound <file>

Time elapsed: 66.489s

vaapi with patches (kwin desktop effects OFF):

mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi -benchmark -nosound <file>

Time elapsed: 55.239s

Much, much better but still slower than single threaded decoding, not
talking about multi threaded...
I did not test it with Swapbufferwaits Off, because it's meant to avoid
tearing and nobody wants to disable it while watching videos.
Anyway the whole graphic stack was the latest and the greatest from git.
I will test it with a more demanding source (high bitrate blu ray rips).

Cheers,
Darkbasic