[Intel-gfx] Flicker-free boot in DRM

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Oct 29 23:54:16 CEST 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 09:12:13 +0100, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 00:05:22 -0700, "Keith Packard" <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> >  *  Constructing a fake drm_framebuffer is a pain; there are a million
> >     places that assume all kinds of things about the frame buffer on
> >     a crtc.
>
> This is vital as we need to capture the current GATT and stolen allocations
> and preserve them across takeover. Otherwise we end up using the VBIOS
> scanout PTEs as our ringbuffer and the actual memory for FBC.

Yeah, I'm getting quite the light show at present, could well be due to
this.

> Best case failure is garbage during takeover; worst case is a GPU hang.

Sounds like creating a GEM object that maps stolen pages is not just a
good idea, but actually necessary.

With that and the mode detection, I think we'll be pretty much set
then. The two patches I've got now are sufficient to get from boot
through X only using mode_set_base, albeit with the screen transitioning
through some pretty crazy looking stuff.

keith.packard at intel.com