[Intel-gfx] Intel GMA500 KMS frambuffer issue in Kernel 3.0.4

BHUVANESH S bhuvaneshs05 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:05:49 CEST 2011

Dear all,

We are into embedded Domain and use Panel PC's to our embedded
controllers to run our application on a PC we basically use only the
kernel part of the Linux with the default drivers available in the
kernel.

The current project that I am into have a ATOM processor with US15W
chipset which has GMA500 graphics card in it.

I found a driver in Linux kernel 3.0.4 in Drivers/staging/GMA500

I tried to build the kernel with this option enabled and enabled all
dependencies and also boot logo ON.

As soon as I boot with the build kernel I can see the boot logo
displayed with 800x480 -32-bpps resolution

exactly the same resolution that my Panel PC LCD is but the color
depth needed to my application is 16 bpps.
So I tried to change the color depth using fbset command but no use, I
tried to do it during the boot by syslinux.cfg like vedio=800x480-16
but it never got changed

I searched on google how to config this "GMA500 KMS Framebuffer"
driver during boot-up time but never got any solution to it please
help me out in getting this working.

Please feel free to ask any questions you want.

--
Regards,
Bhuvanesh S