[Intel-gfx] Intel Linux display driver sending incompatible signal to one monitor.

Freddie F. Haddad fhaddad78 at cox.net
Fri Dec 7 04:03:55 CET 2012

Gentoo Linux
- kernel 3.6.8
- xf86-video-intel 2.20.15
- xorg-server: 1.13.0-r1

grub.conf
kernel /boot/gentoo_3.6.8 root=/dev/sda3 video=1024x768-24 at 75 quiet splash

.xinitrc
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1600x1200 --rate 60 --output HDMI3 --mode
1600x1200 --rate 60 --right-of HDMI1

Booting the system:
Generally the displays are fine, however, sometimes (and it appears to
be completely random) the left monitor will receive a video signal that
is out of range. Briefly, the monitor will display a scrambled image
followed by the monitor's on-screen display reporting the signal is out
of range and then putting the monitor to sleep.

Starting X via startx:
When X starts, the same scenario as described above occurs.

If I shutdown the x server and return to the console, the monitor that
isn't displaying anything will come back on and be fine. Then if I start
X again, it usually displays everything correctly.

Both monitors (Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP) were purchased at the same time
and are identical. Also, I have tried various configurations with xrandr
and the kernel line in grub.conf. For example, I tried removing all
kernel parameters as well as reducing xrandr the minimum options
(removing mode and rate) without success.

--
Freddie F. Haddad ▪ fhaddad78 at cox.net ▪ 619.269.8901