[Intel-gfx] Intel Linux display driver sending incompatible signal to one monitor.

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Fri Dec 7 14:22:21 CET 2012

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012, Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 06.12.2012, 19:03 -0800 schrieb Freddie F. Haddad:
>> Gentoo Linux
>> - kernel 3.6.8
>> - xf86-video-intel 2.20.15
>> - xorg-server: 1.13.0-r1
>
> Is your problem a regression?
>
>> grub.conf
>> kernel /boot/gentoo_3.6.8 root=/dev/sda3 video=1024x768-24 at 75 quiet splash
>>
>> .xinitrc
>> xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1600x1200 --rate 60 --output HDMI3 --mode
>> 1600x1200 --rate 60 --right-of HDMI1
>>
>> Booting the system:
>> Generally the displays are fine, however, sometimes (and it appears to
>> be completely random) the left monitor will receive a video signal that
>> is out of range. Briefly, the monitor will display a scrambled image
>> followed by the monitor's on-screen display reporting the signal is out
>> of range and then putting the monitor to sleep.
>>
>> Starting X via startx:
>> When X starts, the same scenario as described above occurs.
>>
>> If I shutdown the x server and return to the console, the monitor that
>> isn't displaying anything will come back on and be fine. Then if I start
>> X again, it usually displays everything correctly.
>>
>> Both monitors (Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP) were purchased at the same time
>> and are identical. Also, I have tried various configurations with xrandr
>> and the kernel line in grub.conf. For example, I tried removing all
>> kernel parameters as well as reducing xrandr the minimum options
>> (removing mode and rate) without success.
>
> I guess without log files the developers will not be able to help you.
> For example you missed what hardware you are using. Please read the page
> »How to file a good bug report« [1] for what is needed.

Yes, please file a bug at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/

Have you tried swapping the HDMI outputs the monitors are connected to?
Is it still the same monitor that fails, or whichever monitor connected
to the failing HDMI output?

Have you tried whether it fails with other display modes as well?

BR,
Jani.