[Intel-gfx] i915 problem with DVI to HDMI adapter: crazy colors

Dan Callahan dan.callahan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 05:30:09 CEST 2012

On 7/9/12 3:11 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 06:33:14PM -0500, Dan Callahan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm running Debian Wheezy (testing) on an Asus Eee Box B202 nettop
>> which has an Intel 945GME chip and a DVI-I output.
>>
>> I'm trying to connect it to a Panasonic Viera TC-L42E50 HDTV via a
>> DVI-to-HDMI adapter. The resolution and rendering acceleration all
>> seem to be working fine, but the colors are very wrong: Black
>> appears green, and white appears pink.
>>
>> This only happens when KMS kicks in and I'm going from DVI to HDMI.
>> During POST and at the GRUB selection screen, everything looks
>> great. Things also look fine over a DVI to VGA adapter,  or when KMS
>> is disabled via i915.modeset=0. For photos, check out
>> http://imgur.com/a/sVAx7
>>
>> I'm using Debian's stock 3.2.0-2-686-pae i686 kernel.
>
> I guess this is yet another incarnation of us not properly setting up hdmi
> infoframes. Can you please test with a 3.5-rc kernel, that one contains a
> fix for sdvo hdmi support. Specifically
>
> commit 81014b9d0b55fb0b48f26cd2a943359750d532db
> Author: Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch>
> Date:   Sat May 12 20:22:00 2012 +0200
>
>      drm/i915: fixup infoframe support for sdvo
>
> If that doesn't help, please also attach the output of xrandr --verbose.

Hi Daniel,

I must apologize for the delay, but I finally got around to testing the
patch from 81014b9d0b55fb0b48f26cd2a943359750d532db tonight.
Conveniently, it applied cleanly to Debian's 3.2.21-3 sources with just
a slight offset.

I'm extremely pleased to report that, with the patch, everything works
as it should.

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to respond, and for authoring
that commit. I'm looking forward to a stable kernel release that
includes the patch -- My poor Atom N270 just isn't made for building
things that large. :)

Cheers,
-Dan