[Intel-gfx] [3.2.y] drm/i915: add Ivy Bridge GT2 Server entries

Maik Zumstrull maik at zumstrull.net
Sun Oct 7 19:35:32 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Julien Cristau <jcristau at debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct  1, 2012 at 03:24:32 -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>
>>  - without this patch, modern X errors out instead of starting,
>>    because the intel driver requires kms.  (In a hypothetical better
>>    world, userspace would know to fall back to vesa or something.)
>>
> I'd expect X to start with vesa or fbdev, rather than erroring out?

There's a corner case when X and the kernel know about the graphics
device, but libdrm doesn't, in which case an assertion in the X driver
fails and X doesn't start. Upstream libdrm has been okay for a few
releases. A bug against Debian libdrm has been open for a while, but
they seem to disagree about the importance, nothing has happened. In
fairness, this device seems to be rare so far. I'm not really using
mine any more, I put an extra graphics card in the box.