[Intel-gfx] FW: Release Notes for Beignet Version 0.1

Zou, Nanhai nanhai.zou at intel.com
Tue Apr 16 07:13:47 CEST 2013

Hi Dave,

	It is not really true to say that the code is duplicated.

	Beignet maps OpenCL into GPGPU pipeline of IvyBridge+ hardware.
	So this is real GPGPU other than mimic GPGPU with 3D functions.

	GPGPU different with 3D pipeline a lot on IvyBridge+.
	Both the pipeline setting and run time are totally different than that in 3D driver.
	The GPU thread spawn model, thread communication model, memory model are also totally different.

	Also the binary representation is different.
	Ben choose LLVM scalar IR for many reasons(you can find the
	decision make reason in the document), that means IR backend are different.

	For GPGPU programming, I don't see a lot benefit to introduce state tracker.
	There is not so many states to track.

	The project is already a functional OpenCL implementation on IvyBridge at this point.

	1. Most of the language features are supported.
	2. Most of built-in functions are supported.
	3. Global, Local memory, thread barriers are supported.
	3. OpenGL to OpenCL texture sharing are supported.

	We have already implement something like CSS filters with this driver,
	and we see performance gain than OpenGL filters.

Thanks
Zou Nanhai