[Intel-gfx] VGA arbiter support for Intel HD?

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Wed Aug 14 22:01:52 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 01:39:55PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-08-14 at 21:30 +0300, Ville Syrjälä wrote:

> > > Thanks Ville.  The MSR seems to work for VGA memory.  Disabling I/O via
> > > PCI_COMMAND does works, but something is re-enabling it after
> > > intel_modeset_vga_set_state().  If I manually disable I/O with setpci
> > > then I do have VGA routing to PEG and can still interact with the KMS
> > > console on IGD.  It's unfortunate that the MSR bit for I/O only disables
> > > pieces of the range.  If we have no other options, I'll try to hunt down
> > > where I/O is being re-enabled and see how feasible it is to avoid.
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > Hmm. Now that I look at vgaarb more it seems I misunderstood the way it
> > works. Based on the code it looks like it will permanently remove the
> > device from the arbiration if set_vga_decode indicates that it doesn't
> > decode legacy resources. And it calls set_vga_decode w/ decode=false
> > if there are more than two VGA cards in the system. That means
>
> s/more than two/two or more/
>
> > i915_disable_vga() is actually broken whenever there is another
> > VGA card in the system.
>
> I didn't follow why i915_disable_vga is broken.  It seems like the
> intention is to disable VGA regardless of how many VGA devices are
> present.

I suppose that's the original intention, but i915_disable_vga() needs
VGA I/O access, so it is currently broken if VGA I/O is disabled.
Originally i915_disable_vga() used MMIO access, but there's a hardware
workaround (since ILK IIRC) stating that VGA registers must be
accessed w/ port I/O. That's progress for you :(

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC