[Intel-gfx] Intel GPU hangs with full-screen video on 3.8-rc2 and -rc3

Lori Jakab lori at lispmob.org
Sat Jan 12 13:17:07 CET 2013

Hi,

I have a Sandy Bridge laptop with Gentoo Linux.  After upgrading to
linux-3.8-rc2 I started seeing GPU hangs, when viewing full screen video
for a few seconds.

[drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
[drm] capturing error event; look for more information in
/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
[drm:kick_ring] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring

I saw similar bug report for 3.2-rc6:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/12/21/336
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2011-December/014072.html

Reportedly turning off sepmaphores solved the issue in that case. I
tried to to that as well, but no luck, so the bug doesn't seem to be
semaphore related. I'm using xf86-video-intel 2.20.17, with SNA, and
libdrm 2.4.40.

Same setup works fine with 3.7.2.

Anything else I can try to help fix this?

Thanks,
-Lori