[Intel-gfx] Question about driver capatibilities - triple monitor?

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 07:36:56 CET 2013

On 01/21/2013 06:05 PM, Csillag wrote:
> But now, thanks to GIGABYTE's PR about Thunderbolt and 4K (
> http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/323/4k.html ), I realized that it
> might be possible to use a "DisplayPort to Dual-DisplayPort Adapter" to
> split a DisplayPort 1.1 output into two channels, and drive two monitors
> from there. (Of course the resolution is limited, but 1920 x 1200 is
> just what I need.)

Be careful.  When I looked into those "splitters", I found out that
they are closer to "federators".  In other words, they take 2 displays
and make them looks like 1 giant display to the operating system.

So 2 1920x1200 displays would appear to be a single 3840x1200 display.

This will give you the number of pixels that you expect, but your
desktop environment is unlikely to play all that well with such a
configuration.

(If anyone knows of a device that doesn't operate this way, please let
me know.  I'll almost certainly buy a couple.)