[Intel-gfx] intel-gpu-tools patches for read/write MMIO

Ben Widawsky ben at bwidawsk.net
Wed Jan 30 02:12:53 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 09:15:22PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On 29/01/2013 21:01, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> >Can you just post them externally tointel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org?
> >It's best to use git send-email to do it, that way the changelogs are
> >preserved and posted to the ml along with the patches.
> Public intel-gfx is already on the cc list, just in case you get the
> urge to spill some secrets ;-)
> >Not sure if there's a bunch of duplication between the two, but you
> >could split them up a bit.
> >
> >I still don't like the idea of silently adding the display offset on
> >vlv; these are just debug tools and the developer should get the
> >absolute offset they asked for no matter what.
> On that topic of silently adding display offset - with Ville's
> kernel work we'll have switched away completely from such tricks in
> the kernel. So I think i-g-t shouldn't automatically add the offset.
>
> Which essentially just leaves us with intel_reg_dumper. Now for that
> I'm somewhat hopefully that we will be able to (eventually) dump
> registers using the bspec xml sources (there should be bspec xmls
> around for just the open-source approved parts). In the meantime,
> can't we just adjust the relevant offsets of the register blocks?
> IIrc their all somewhat usefully grouped together, so this would
> amount to adding a quick function to add the offset to a given table
> (put keep all the names) and then feed the adjusted table to the
> dumper functions ...
> -Daniel

As we discussed in private, even if we get to the point of having bspec
xml, we would still want a tool similar to the one that was proposed for
parsing the XML (as opposed to the text). Reg dumper as has been
mentioned in several threads is pretty inflexible, and a pain to modify
for person use.

As we also discussed in private, I'd like Jesse to either fight or not
for this because I don't think he has to butt heads with you enough.

--
Ben Widawsky, Intel Open Source Technology Center