[Intel-gfx] intel-gpu-tools patches for read/write MMIO

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at intel.com
Wed Jan 30 18:25:39 CET 2013

On 30/01/2013 18:13, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:12:53 -0800
> Ben Widawsky <ben at bwidawsk.net> wrote:

>>> Public intel-gfx is already on the cc list, just in case you get the
>>> urge to spill some secrets ;-)

>>> On that topic of silently adding display offset - with Ville's
>>> kernel work we'll have switched away completely from such tricks in
>>> the kernel. So I think i-g-t shouldn't automatically add the offset.
>>>
>>> Which essentially just leaves us with intel_reg_dumper. Now for that
>>> I'm somewhat hopefully that we will be able to (eventually) dump
>>> registers using the bspec xml sources (there should be bspec xmls
>>> around for just the open-source approved parts). In the meantime,
>>> can't we just adjust the relevant offsets of the register blocks?
>>> IIrc their all somewhat usefully grouped together, so this would
>>> amount to adding a quick function to add the offset to a given table
>>> (put keep all the names) and then feed the adjusted table to the
>>> dumper functions ...
> The big downside of using the bspec stuff is it'll be a huge rename
> effort for us, and will likely get renamed and changed in the bspec
> over time, breaking things.
Which is why autogenerating headers makes imo no sense. But register
dumping and decoding for debug purposes is a different thing and I'm
hopeful that using bspec xmls cut allow us to cut down a lot of boring
work in that area ...

>> As we discussed in private, even if we get to the point of having bspec
>> xml, we would still want a tool similar to the one that was proposed for
>> parsing the XML (as opposed to the text). Reg dumper as has been
>> mentioned in several threads is pretty inflexible, and a pain to modify
>> for person use.
>>
>> As we also discussed in private, I'd like Jesse to either fight or not
>> for this because I don't think he has to butt heads with you enough.
> For reg_dumper I'd prefer something like Ben's work, which just takes
> text files describing what's being dumped, so we can better handle
> dumping subsets of regs and have different files for different
> platforms.
Essentially I'm only against the magic register offset adjustment, since
that doesn't work due to some aliased registers. I'm happy with any of
the other ideas tossed around here. If we come up with different tools,
maybe adding a wrapper script to pick the right one (e.g. binary
reg_dumper for older platfroms, textfile-driven dumper for newer
platforms) would be nice. Otherwise we'll inevitably have a few
unnecessary round-trips in bug reports.

Cheers, Daniel
Intel Semiconductor AG
Registered No. 020.30.913.786-7
Registered Office: World Trade Center, Leutschenbachstrasse 95, 8050 Zurich, Switzerland