[Intel-gfx] [drm-intel] Diverse GIT branches?

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 15:39:05 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 01:23:53PM +0200, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> can you explain the usage of the diverse GIT branches you maintain?
>>
>> OK, I know we are in between a merge-window and it's probably me who
>> is confused.
>> My focus is especially on the branches against -next.
>>
>> drm-intel-fixes <--- For current Linux-upstream
>>
>> for-linux-next <--- For current Linux-next (see [3])
>>
>> drm-intel-next-queued <--- For "Linux-upstream version+1" aka
>> "for-3.12" means "post-3.11-rc1 material for Linux-next"???
>>
>> drm-intel-nightly <--- (drm-intel-fixes + for-linux-next +
>> drm-intel-next-queued)
>>
>> for-airlied <--- for git-pulls to airlied
>>
>> drm-intel-next <--- ???
>>
>> drm-intel-testing <--- ???
>>
>> It might be less confusing to use branches like "for-3.11" or
>> "for-3.12" for future development trees (see linux-block/linux-wq)?
>>
>> Sorry, if I keep you from more important stuff.
>
> I've figured that generally interesting to clarify, so went for a little
> blog post "drm/i915 Brances Explained":
>
> http://blog.ffwll.ch/2013/07/drmi915-branches-explained.html

Hi Daniel,

first of all, congrats for the 1st anniversary of maintaining
drm-intel and the nice blog-article.

The idea with drm-intel-nightly (which ships latest drm-core +
drm-intel development stuff) is really great.
I had few problems in pulling it into my local Linux-next trees.

Today, I also updated libdrm/mesa3d/xf86-video-intel to the latest
stable GIT versions.
Nice speedup on Ubuntu/precise.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks!

Regards,
- Sedat -

P.S.: I remember I put a reference on an email from Dave explaining
radeon-development into the "radeon build-howto". Dunno, might be
worth to place an anchor to your blog-article in an appropriate Xorg
intel-gfx wiki?