[Intel-gfx] i915 and eDP issue !?

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Sun Mar 17 20:38:29 CET 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Michael Zimmermann <michaelz at ib-mz.com> wrote:
> I own a Dell XPS 12 with an IvyBridge Graphic card, a Mini DisplayPort and
> an internal display which is accessible via eDP1. So far the only chance to
> get this machine running properly with Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit is to set
> acpi=off as boot parameter with all the disadvantages of not having the ACPI
> features. Without the setting the screen is blank (=black), but I hear the
> drumsticks and can access the machine via ssh. Checking dmesg and Xorg.0.log
> gives no serious hint of having a problem. Astonishingly if I plug in an
> external monitor I can see the normal ubuntu user interface on it and work
> with it, where the monitor of the laptop remains blank. As far as I can see
> ACPI and the graphic card work well except for not detecting eDP1 as the
> device of choice then ACPI is turned on. Turning off ACPI means that the
> kernel starts SFI (Simple firmware interface) which does not have the
> problem and that works. I would like to get the ACPI features, especially
> power management and cpu usage, which is quite essential on a laptop,
> running so I would like to ask you for advice, if there is any possibility
> for solving this you may be the right person having the internals of
> tweaking the i915.

Please test with the latest released kernels (3.8.x) and preferrably
also with latest drm-intel-nightly (ubuntu has a nice ppa at
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/drm-intel-experimental/).
If that's still broken please file a bug report at
bugs.freedesktop.org against dri -> drm (Intel).

Also when poking please never only send a mail to your maintainer, but
always cc a mailing list (since he might be on vacation or just really
busy).

Thanks, Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch