[Intel-gfx] [RFC] xf86-video-intel: enable hw-generated binding tables

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed Apr 23 18:52:09 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Abdiel Janulgue
<abdiel.janulgue at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> I've already tried disabling RS at the end of every batch so that next batch
> in different context can continue to use older non-RS format. That does not
> work either and still causes hangs.
>
> What I've seen so far, it seems GPU does not like switching the format of
> commands from RS-format to non-RS format. It's either one way or the other. If
> switched on, it affects subsequent contexes henceforth expecting RS-format
> commands until the GPU gets reset. That's probably the note in bspec:
>
> "the binding table generator feature has a simple all or nothing model".

Oh hooray, that's just awesome :( So we indeed need to stop the gpu
and reset it if there's a non-RS render batch after any RS render
batch.

Which also means that we need to enable this for _all_ userspace to
avoid completely disastrous performance. So uxa, sna, libva, maybe
opencl ...

I guess before we engage in this endeavor we need to track this down
with the hardware people.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch