[Intel-gfx] Request for feedback - Sprite flip notification support

Vijay Purushothaman vijay.a.purushothaman at intel.com
Wed Feb 5 16:05:11 CET 2014

Hello,

In our current driver implementation we support flip notifications only
for primary plane. So, in a full screen video playback scenario where
only one sprite plane is active, the user space is forced to rely on
primary plane flip notification even though there is no real need for
this plane to be active. Ideally we should be able to support flip
notifications for any given plane. Switching off the primary plane (when
not used) will help in better memory self refresh & decent power savings..

We do have a hack in android product trees which supports flip
notifications for one sprite plane. unfortunately this hack in its
current form cannot be considered for up streaming...

My current thinking is to have an array of unpin_work items to match the
number of planes. Is anyone working on this or thought about this
scenario in detail? Any pointers / restrictions that needs to considered
for a generic implementation of this feature?

*Thanks,
Vijay
*