[Intel-gfx] Request for feedback - Sprite flip notification support

Vijay Purushothaman vijay.a.purushothaman at intel.com
Wed Feb 5 16:55:36 CET 2014

On 2/5/2014 8:43 PM, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 08:35:11PM +0530, Vijay Purushothaman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In our current driver implementation we support flip notifications only
>> for primary plane. So, in a full screen video playback scenario where
>> only one sprite plane is active, the user space is forced to rely on
>> primary plane flip notification even though there is no real need for
>> this plane to be active. Ideally we should be able to support flip
>> notifications for any given plane. Switching off the primary plane (when
>> not used) will help in better memory self refresh & decent power savings..
>>
>> We do have a hack in android product trees which supports flip
>> notifications for one sprite plane. unfortunately this hack in its
>> current form cannot be considered for up streaming...
>>
>> My current thinking is to have an array of unpin_work items to match the
>> number of planes. Is anyone working on this or thought about this
>> scenario in detail? Any pointers / restrictions that needs to considered
>> for a generic implementation of this feature?
>
> The plan is to implement the nuclear page flip which will take care of
> all planes in the same way.

Thanks Ville. If the nuclear page flip is part of your bigger atomic
mode set framework, is there a way you can split this into smaller sets
for merge? Multiple product trees will benefit from the nuclear page flip.

Is there anything that i can help with? Like testing your patches with
android user space?

Thanks,
Vijay