[Intel-gfx] i830GM on IBM R31 works with alm_fixes5 repository

Thomas Richter thor at math.tu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 18 18:03:35 CEST 2014

Hi Ville,

thanks again for your alm_fixes5 branch. Just installed it on the old
R31 - this seems to work fine. The external monitor works
(unlike with intel_drm_nightly, which is broken), and watermarks are
also setup correctly. Booting works correctly, boot console
is setup correctly.

Suspend to RAM does not work, but this does not seem to be the fault of
the i915 and drm modules. Even with almost all modules
unloaded, the machine hangs when trying to resume. The suspend2ram tests
all work fine (i.e. freezing tasks, devices...), but as
soon as I use a real suspend (no testing), the machine does not wake up.
The s3_sleep kernel parameter is not able to work around
this, i.e. there is no combination which makes this working. The BIOS is
the latest version I could find (ancient, still) but no avail.

Machine remains completely unresponsive, no network, no mouse, no
keyboard, no video, no sound. The pm-suspend rtc debugging
tricks do not reveal in which kernel module the machine hangs, nothing
seems to match the recorded hash. The problem must appear
pretty early in the call-chain.

Anyhow, this is not i915 related as it seems, so nothing to fix here.
I'll try to find out a bit more on this if I can.

Greetings,
     Thomas