[Intel-gfx] intel_gpu_top missing clocks

Bragg, Robert robert.bragg at intel.com
Thu Jun 19 22:33:44 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Chris Healy <cphealy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> This information is helpful.  I am able to query the frequencies as you
> mentioned.  My primary interest though is in getting support added to
> intel_gpu_top.  It seems to me that intel_gpu_top has been coded to support
> providing clock frequency data for a subset of Intel GPUs and that the
> mobile Ivy Bridge GT2 chipset is not supported.  Would you agree with this?

That looks right, yep.

> If so, I'd like to fix this but don't know where to look for the bit
> descriptions for the necessary registers.  Can you point me to the
> appropriate document?

I'm afraid it looks like that the i915_debugfs.c code may be the best
reference a.t.m; though maybe someone who's worked on that code (not me)
can give you a better answer.

That said though; it could make sense to update intel_gpu_top to query
debugfs for this information anyway; considering that it's more up to date
and that way the logic doesn't need to be duplicated. For example if you
take a look at overlay/gpu-freq.c in the intel_gpu_tools repo it looks like
there's already some precedent for doing just that. It also looks like the
utility code in overlay/debugfs.c can be used to make sure debugfs is
mounted.

Sorry I couldn't point you at good documentation for this; but hopefully
that's still of some help to you.

--
Regards,
Robert