[Intel-gfx] Why Baytrail Gfx driver not always uses pipe A when it's free?

Lin, Mengdong mengdong.lin at intel.com
Thu Mar 6 10:19:22 CET 2014

Hi Jesse,

Could you tell us why Baytrail Gfx driver does not always use pipe A when it's free?

We have a Baytrail-M which only have HDMI (port B) and DisplayPort (port C) output.
When I connect HDMI or DP only, the Gfx driver always uses pipe B for port B/C, although pipe A is free. This behavior does not change no matter I enable X or not.
Is there any special consideration?

This is different from what we observe on HSW/BDW, where pipe A is always used if it's free.

Thanks
Mengdong