[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] igt basic tests

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Aug 25 13:20:46 PDT 2015

After getting feedback from various people, I've recently pushed a few
changes to igt to add/move a 'basic' set of subtests.  The intention is
that this set of tests always pass, and will be used by the PRTS system
on a per-patch basis as a merge criteria.  The total runtime for all the
basic tests should be around 5min; if it goes much above this I think we
should consider it a high prio bug and work to optimize things back
down.  This will allow developers to run the basic acceptance tests
(BATs) on their own as part of the development process.  Adding more
tests to the 'basic' namespace is expected as well, as long as we keep
the runtime down.  The criteria I came up with are:
  1) total run time for all tests: <5min
  2) any test failure considered a P1 "drop everything" bug
  3) should be run on a per-patch basis by PRTS
  4) should be run by developers for testing & development
  5) changes (additions/removals) to the list driven by QA and
     developer feedback

The new tests are easy to run; from your igt directory:
  # ln -s <path_to_piglit_dir> piglit
  # ./scripts/run_tests.sh -t basic

None of this excludes the need to run the stress test and other tests we
have in igt; I still expect those to be run on a continuous basis by QA
and by individual developers when touching particular areas like GEM.
But ultimately I wanted something useful for developers to run multiple
times per day while developing new features or fixing bugs in a way that
might introduce a regression.

Anyway, please give it a try on the platforms you have handy and file
bugs if you find them (so far HSW seems to be in ok shape, with some
warnings from kms_flip, some failures in the pipe_crc tests, and a few
other minor issues).  QA should take care of getting them assigned and
closing duplicates.

Thanks,
Jesse