[Intel-gfx] vsync + vaapi question

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Dec 22 12:54:08 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 07:08:11PM +0100, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to switch vsync from internal LCD (laptop) to external monitor
> when playing movie via VA-API? I can drop vsync with internal LCD and keep
> vsync only with external monitor. I tried to use --primary for excernal
> monitor when enabling output but no luck.

Not really. The Primary output will be used as the vsync so long as a
single pixel of the Window is upon it. Fundamentally, we need to use the
output that the Window is on in order to driver the vblank update.

> Is there any way to sync with external monitor? Chris once told me that
> anything is possible. So? :)

Ville once upon a time mentioned plans to try and synchronise the
vblanks on matched outputs, i.e. start two 60Hz monitors at precisely
the same time so they remain reasonably in sync.