[Intel-gfx] [RFC 00/12] i915 init-time configuration.

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 13 00:08:52 PST 2015

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Bob Paauwe <bob.j.paauwe at intel.com> wrote:
> Background:
>
> This capability is targeted at deeply embedded appliance like devices
> that make use of Intel integrated graphics.  There are a few use cases
> that are not currently supported by the i915 driver.  For example,
> they may not be running userspace code that is capable of querying and
> setting the various DRM properties and would like them set during the
> driver initialization. Also they may be using a custom firmware bootloader
> that does not include any graphics initialization or VBT information.
>
> This level of initialization configuration has been available in
> the Intel EMGD kernel driver and a similar level of configurability will
> be expected as designs transition to the i915 driver.
>
> This patch set provides a framework that makes use of ACPI property
> tables containing configuration information.  It also includes some
> examples on how this may be applied to various aspects of the i915
> driver initialization.

The biggest issue I have with this series is the introduction of another
source of configuration in addition to VBT (and to a lesser extent ACPI
OpRegion) without an attempt to abstract them. Information from both
will get used. The mixture is completed in patch 9 that initializes some
of the same data structures as intel_bios.c but without reuse of the
code.

Maybe we need to better abstract our use of the VBT information to begin
with, so that we could plug in additional (complementary or replacement)
sources of the configuration. Offhand, I am not sure if what you propose
as intel_config.c API could be developed into such an abstraction, or if
there's something ready made in kernel we could use.

I do know we already and historically have had problems with the forward
compatibility of the VBT data. It's been getting better, but we need to
avoid the same mistakes. On a related note, I'd really appreciate it if
the specification for your data could be made public.

Oh, one other thing, this thing needs to build with CONFIG_ACPI=n. At
least that's been the case for i915 for a long time.

I'll add some random notes on the patches too.

BR,
Jani.