[Intel-gfx] [RFC 2/2] drm/i915: Clean-up PPGTT on context destruction

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed Feb 25 15:17:52 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 05:41:51PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:34:51AM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:

> > > Linking into the ctx unref should give us that for free since requests do
> > > hold a reference on the context. So this will only be run when the buffers
> > > are idle.
> > >
> > > Well except that our unbind code is too dense to do that correctly for
> > > shared buffers, so we need to move obj->active to vma->active first.
> >
> > We unbind vma, so what do you mean?
>
> The unbind of the vma will block since we track active per-obj instead of
> per-vma. Which is kinda not that cool for a kref_put cleanup function.
>
> But yeah the below is what I had in mind too, with the mentioned nuisance
> fixed.

Oh and there's a fun bit of code to clean up - in the execbuf code we just
pin the 2nd vma for the ggtt, which crucially relies on the ->active
boolean being shared by all vmas. That needs to be fixed first before we
can move obj->active to vma->active. For context see

commit da51a1e7e398129d9fddd4b26b8469145dd4fd08
Author: Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch>
Date:   Mon Aug 11 12:08:58 2014 +0200

    drm/i915: Fix secure dispatch with full ppgtt

Cheers, Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch