[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/2] Add Pooled EU support

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 12:58:22 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 04:00:08PM +0100, Siluvery, Arun wrote:
> On 11/07/2015 20:09, Chris Wilson wrote:

> >>Would it not just be simpler to execute 2 batches? First holding the
> >>basic and common state for the gen, the second using subgen. That we
> >>have a chunk of binary data is nasty, but at least we can point to the
> >>generator and be able to decipher it and recreate it as required. Doing
> >>binary patching on top, on that path lies madness.
>
> I like this idea of sending 2 batches if that is acceptable. In this
> case we don't have to touch the golden batch and hence the generator
> tool and also not worry about using the correct binary blob as
> header.
>
> the setup in this case would be,
>
> 1. send golden batch
> 2. prepare and send batch to configure pooled EU as per subslice and
> EU count
>
> Why we have a separate tool in the first place, is it not possible
> to carry all of them in code or are there any restrictions in doing
> so?

Basically we really didn't want to have to carry all the 3dstate
defintions and generators in the kernel. We thought that carrying a small
binary blob (autogenerated from a clear source) would be easier to
maintain and keep the complexity (and code size) out of the kernel.

We may have got the balance wrong, it just takes a bit of trial and
error over the years to decide if the original decision was the correct
one.