[Intel-gfx] drm properties, ABI and compositors

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Wed Jul 29 05:43:37 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I've discussed drm props and ABI requirements a bit with Dave on irc.
In the past we've been pretty lax with properties since connector
properties are mostly meant for end-users to set manually, so not
really much point in standardizing and treating them like ABI. But now
we have props for plane/CRTC and atomic and those are really meant to
be used by compositors, so all the problems with ABI start to kick in.
And we had them already, e.g. early i915 patches for rotation where cw
while existing omap supports was ccw. I also just spotted msm patches
which reinvent the mirror flags of the rotation prop with their own
flip prop. And there's a lot of things in-progress already like
zpos/alpha/blending props, color manager/per-plane gamma, ...

To avoid future ABI disaster I think we should treat these props like
any other drm ABI and require full-blown userspace, so here that would
be a real implementation in something like weston, -modesetting, the
new cros thing or maybe even hwc if that ever happens as an
open-source project. And test tools like modetest don't cut it since
upside down desktop is obvious, upside down test pattern meh. And
modetest doesn't bother with all the TEST_ONLY and failure recory
stuff like e.g. weston atomic needs to.

Internally I think we should also try to standarize prop handling by
pushing them into drm_*_state structs and adding decoding in core and
good helpers. And hopefully soon we have markdown for kerneldoc so can
transform that horrible docbook table into something sane. But that's
just internals which we can always fix. ABI's forever.

Anyway this is all kinda just clarification at least for i915. props
for compositors are ABI like anything else, same rules still apply.

Thanks, Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch