[Intel-gfx] drm i915 weirdness with /sys/class/drm/card0*/status

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 16 01:12:22 PDT 2015

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 01:45:00AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> heya,
>>
>> I am experiencing something weird with the i915 driver in kernel
>> 4.1.0-0.rc8 (precisely 4.1.0-0.rc8.git0.1.fc23.x86_64 from fedora
>> rawhide):
>>
>> On my laptop, when I type this:
>>
>>         grep . /sys/class/drm/card0*/status
>>
>> I usually get this:
>>
>>         /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-1/status:disconnected
>>         /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status:disconnected
>>         /sys/class/drm/card0-LVDS-1/status:connected
>>         /sys/class/drm/card0-VGA-1/status:disconnected
>>
>> WHich is fine and looks correct, but sometimes I instead get this:
>>
>>         /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-1/status:unknown
>>         /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status:unknown
>>         /sys/class/drm/card0-LVDS-1/status:connected
>>         /sys/class/drm/card0-VGA-1/status:unknown
>>
>> i.e. the status of the unconnected GPU outputs changes from
>> disconnected to unknown. It's not really clear to me when this
>> happens, but it appears to be reproducible after the machine comes
>> back from suspend.
>
> Yeah this is how the sysfs interface works. On resume we reset the
> connector state to unknown and send out a uevent to make sure userspace
> reprobes. Once reprobed the connector status will be udpated. sysfs
> interface themselves never cause a probe but only print out the current
> value. To force a probe you need to do ioctls on the drm device.
>
> This has been like that since forever, so I guess what changed for you is
> that systemd reads these files before X gets around to force a probe.

We don't really depend on the userspace doing the reprobe, do we? On
resume, we reprobe the HPD capable connectors and schedule a poll for
the rest. Is it even possible the userspace sees unknown status for HPD
capable connectors on resume? Makes me wonder if there's something going
wrong with the hotplug irqs.

If everyone in userspace starts forcing the reprobe we'll be doing that
a lot...

BR,
Jani.