[Intel-gfx] About dealing with CSB.context element switch in execlist mode.

Wang, Zhi A zhi.a.wang at intel.com
Tue Nov 24 05:33:47 PST 2015

Hi Gurus:
I'm wondering what's the right approach to deal with the context switch reason: element_switch? According to b-spec, one ELSP submission may include two elements, when one element is finished, HW will move to process next element, the previous context will be scheduled out with a "element_switch" context switch reason.

I saw that i915 would try to start a new ELSP write which may contain two new elements when it found a "element_switch" CSB in the context switch handler. I'm a bit confused here, as HW may be still running a context at this time, I'm not sure if two new elements can be submitted at this time. So I think maybe my understanding about this context switch reason might be wrong.

Anyone can educate me how to deal with the "element_switch" CSB?

Thanks,
Zhi.