[Intel-gfx] Intel graphics on Thinkpad T540p is most unsuable now :( (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600)

Marc MERLIN marc_xorg at merlins.org
Sat Jan 9 16:07:05 PST 2016

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 09:42:24AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 08:04:27AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > My hunch at this point is that google-chrome-beta is taxing the GPU and
> > causing the driver to misbehave. I'm now back to
> > 2:2.99.917+git20151217-1~exp1 and 4.3.3 and will run google-chrome-beta
> > --disable-gpu, but this kills other stuff I need and won't be working
> > anymore as a result :(
>
> google-chrome-beta --disable-gpu did not help.
>
> 4.3.3 and xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.917+git20151217-1~exp1 gave a
> full deadlock
>
> Downgrading to 3.19.8 also gave the full deadlock.
>
> I've now just downgraded xserver-xorg-video-intel to 2:2.99.917-1 and
> will see how that goes.

And I got a full deadlock with that combination too :(

Sigh. What broke? The driver was never great, but it wasn't nearly as
bad as it's been in the last months (i.e. a crash/deadlock every other
day on average). This is quite unbearable.

I'm not quite sure what else changed or what else I could revert. Adding
an nvidia chip that laptop is going to be involved, so getting a new
laptop with nvidia out of the box is simpler, but not cheap when my
current laptop otherwise works fine.

I'd love a software solution, but I'm running out of ideas. Is there
anything I missed?

> But I have to ask again:
> Who is using that Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 on a 3K screen laptop?
> Anyone?
> Or am I the only such user on this list?

Sigh, so no one is running this chip?
That could explain why it works so badly for me, but somehow I'm hoping
that at least the intel developers have that chip and a/some laptops
equipped with it?

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901