[kmscon-devel] kmscon giving a black screen, systemd thinks it's fine

Timo Paulssen timo at wakelift.de
Wed Apr 30 05:13:26 PDT 2014

Hi,

I've tried to install kmscon from latest git and enabling it via systemd
(the only change I had to make was to change /usr/bin/kmscon to
/usr/local/bin/kmscon in the service files), but it doesn't work well. I
also used the instructions from the ArchWiki (as well as the
kmsconvt at .service file) to tell systemd to use kmscon. This is a Fedora
20 desktop with an nVidia graphics card.

Configuring the source code gave me "yes" for every single line, but
trying to get kmscon started caused a failure quickly. Then, I added
--hwaccel --drm and it got even worse. The output from journalctl looks
like this:

failed to load module: /usr/lib64/gbm/gbm_gallium_drm.so: cannot open
shared object file: no such file or directory
ERROR: uterm_drm3d_video: cannot create gbm device for /dev/dri/card0
(permission denied) (video_init() in src/uterm_drm3d_video.c:436)
ERROR: video_drm2d: driver does not support dumb buffers (video_init()
in src/uterm_drm2d_video.c:335)

At this stage I was left with a black screen, but kmscon didn't report
failure to systemd.

The instructions from the kmsconvt at .service file claims that using
kmsconvt as the autovt will give me a "safe fallback" to getty, but
that's obviously not the case here, since there's no hint to systemd
that things have failed.

Please advise.
  - Timo