[LDTP-Dev] UTF-8 characters in settextvalue method

Nagappan A nagappan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:48:52 PDT 2008

Hi Ara,

I have fixed this issue, will check in the code by end of day. If you still
face this issue, please send us the test script to verify and fix at our
end.

I tried something like this

settextvalue ('*-gedit', 'txt0', 'C:\薔薇\ソ\表') and this worked for me.

Thanks
Nagappan

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Ara Pulido <ara at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to write a script that will open a Gedit session, will write
> some japanese chracters, will save and it will be compared to an already
> saved file.
>
> The same test using ascii characters works neatly, but in this case I
> always get this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/ldtprunner", line
> 424, in executescript execfile (scriptname, scriptglobal) File
> "gedit_chains.py", line 24, in <module> test.write_text(chain) File
> "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ubuntutesting/ubuntu.py", line 138, in
> write_text Application.write_text(self, text,
> ubuntu_constants.GE_TXT_FIELD) File
> "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ubuntutesting/ubuntu.py", line 118, in
> write_text app_txt_field.settextvalue(text) File
> "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/ooldtp.py", line 453, in settextvalue
> return ldtp.settextvalue (self.__window, self.getName (''), args [0])
> File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/ldtp.py", line 805, in
> settextvalue _message = generatexml (command.SETTEXTVALUE, _requestId,
> windowName, componentName, text) File
> "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/ldtp.py", line 84, in generatexml
> _argDebug += ", " + str (args [index]) UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec
> can't encode characters in position 27-30: ordinal not in range(128)
>
> I have tried encoding that, but finally ldtp library always tries to
> encode that to ascii.
>
> Have you managed to get such a test running successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> Ara.

Linux Desktop (GUI Application) Testing Project -
http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
http://nagappanal.blogspot.com