[Libburn] Thesis on Libburn

Steven Van Impe steven.vanimpe at pandora.be
Thu Apr 1 09:01:50 PST 2004

> Isn't every submission to libburn supposed to be donated, thus the
> author clames that it stops having copyright over it?

as far as I know, in belgium (where I live) you can't 'not have' copyright
over your work, if you write something, you're the author and you have
copyright on that work
what you can do is give your copyright to someone else (like your company if
you work for a company) or claim not to exercise it
both of that needs to be done by some sort of contract

so I'd guess that if you write code and donate it to a free software project,
you're still the author, and have 'copyright' over it
that 'copyright' won't be too big however, since the license you released the
work under prohibits you from exercising most of your copyright, giving
others the freedom to copy, modify etc your code to their liking

that's what I remember from my course on (belgian) copyright
I could be terribly wrong ofcourse

In my case the problem is: does my university consider itself to be co-author
of whatever I write during my education, which would prohibit me from giving
away my code without their permission ?
iirc this is not the case, but i'll check nevertheless