[Libburn] New error

Bryan Forbes bryan at reigndropsfall.net
Mon Aug 23 07:34:41 PDT 2004

Ok, coaster starts just fine when run as root (but it can't connect to
gconf because of gnome-session).  If I run coaster with sudo, it works
fine, but it still crashes (even after freeing the burn source after
everything is done).  The permissions on /dev/hdc (which is my cdrom
drive) are as follows:

brw-rw----  1 root cdrom 22, 0 2004-08-23 09:20 /dev/hdc

My user, bryan, is part of the cdrom group, so this doesn't make sense
to me.  I hope it's not a kernel bug.

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 02:28 -0500, Derek Foreman wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Bryan Forbes wrote:
>
> > I just upgraded my kernel to 2.6.8 and I'm getting a new error with
> > libburn.  If I run the devices test, I get this on the command line:
> >
> > Initializing library...Success
> > Scanning for devices...devices: libburn/sg.c:247: sg_issue_command:
> > Assertion `err != -1' failed.
> > Killed
>
> Nice.
>
> You sure you have the right permissions on your cd burning device?  Can
> you duplicate this while running as root?
>
> My guess is that you've only got read access to the device node or
> something along those lines.  And the only fix I'll be able to give you
> will just make libburn refuse to use the device at all when it's
> configured like that.
>
> I think 2.6.8 added some command filtering stuff to prevent malicious
> users from being able to destroy drives.
>
> It looks like the command to unlock the drive door isn't allowed.  Amusing
> because it appears to have been ok to lock it in the first place.
>
> oh, and I think "thread apply all bt full" is what I'm looking for - but
> I don't need any more info here.  This is most likely a device permission
> problem or a kernel bug.
Bryan Forbes
bryan at reigndropsfall.net
http://www.reigndropsfall.net

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless
minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
        - Samuel Adams, an architect of the Constitution

Key fingerprint = 3D7D B728 713A BB7B B8B1  5B61 3888 17E0 70CA 0F3D