[Libburn] Thesis on Libburn

Steven Van Impe steven.vanimpe at pandora.be
Tue Mar 30 05:30:45 PST 2004

Hi all,

I'm currently studying CS (with major in software development) at the
University of Ghent, Belgium. Since next year is our final year, we have to
choose a thesis subject before the end of this year. It's also possible for
us to propose our own subjects, so I thought I'd try to do something useful.
I'm a big fan of C, although we haven't had much experience with it, and Linux
on the desktop. I also think Libburn is something the linux desktop badly
needs, so I'm considering making it my thesis subject.

What I would like to know is whether this will work as a thesis subject.
As I said, I'm a big fan of C, but so far I only know ANSI C, and have only
done some smaller school project on it. Also, we have quite a broad knowledge
on hardware, but I'll still need to learn specific stuff on filesystems and
such. Would you think it's possible for me to learn what I need to know in
order to get started with working on libburn in about 3 months (taking into
account that a: people say I'm smart, so I learn quite fast, b: I'm willing
to dedicate myself to this work, since I'd really like to help out and c:
well, the thesis is a major part of next year so I'd better make it count).
Also, would you think that by the start of my final year (october 2004),
libburn is in a state where I, as a newbie developer, could make some
contributions to it ?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Steven Van Impe
PS: I'm not yet subscribed to this list, so please reply to
steven.vanimpe at pandora.be