[Libburn] Thesis on Libburn

Steven Van Impe steven.vanimpe at pandora.be
Wed Mar 31 07:37:16 PST 2004

> 1) The project is still in an early stage, so the code is still
> comprehensible ;)

that makes it easier indeed

> 2) The project is written in pure C and uses standard C libraries.  Most
> current free software projects are either based on GTK+ or QT, and while
> these are both excellent toolkits, if you haven't done much C
> programming to begin with, learning a toolkit and a language at the same
> time can be daunting.

that's one of the reasons I chose this project

> My recommendation would be to build the latest CVS code and start
> banging on it.  Find something that doesn't work the way to expect it
> should, and fix it :)

that's not the approach I had in mind :)
what I will need to know is exactly what I need to learn on cd recording, so I
can do some serious studying on that
my teachers will probably be able to assist me in finding good material on
that, if it isn't available on the internet
also, I'll spend the first part of my summer 'holiday' doing some smaller
exercises in C, finishing 'the C programming language' and taking a look at
the POSIX API
when all that preparation is done (should be by the end of the summer I hope),
I can get to working on the code, mostly small stuff in the beginning, while
I get used to working on a free software project, but I do hope to make some
bigger contributions during the remainder of the year (which I think is
possible, since I'll have lots of time, almost every day, to work on this
project)

I guess now I'll wait and see what the project maintainers think of all this,
and if they're ok with it, I'll propose this as a thesis subject to my
teachers