[Libburn] Re: How to pipe stdin to CD-RW ?

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Dec 6 14:03:42 PST 2005

Hi,

i'm testing my stuff now on some Linux versions
which i still got on an old PC.
There are three versions of cdrskin on test:
- cdrskin_static   compiled on my 2.4.21 system, 2.3 MB
- cdrskin_dynamic  compiled on my 2.4.21 system, 190 kB
- libburn-0.2.ts   to be compiled on target system
                   contains my changes and cdrskin.c

SuSE 7.2, kernel 2.4.4, ide-scsi :

dynamic : doesn't find GLIBC . (It is a drag !)

static : starts, prints help text but finds no drive.
           (there is a LITE-ON LTR48125S on 1,0,0
            there is a CD-ROM on real SCSI))

libburn-0.2.ts :
- ./configure fails with :
     syntax error in 19396 :
        for ac_header in
  This loop runs 0 times on my more modern Linux.
  I replaced that dull loop by a dull "if test 0 = 1".
  Now it configues and makes.

- Neither test/devices nor cdrskin find the drive.
  Seems not to be a local library problem.

cdrecord : finds the LITE-ON drive as "1,0,0"

SuSE 7.2, kernel 2.4.4, no ide-scsi :

- Neither test/devices nor cdrskin find the drive. :(

cdrecord: old 1.9 knows neither dev=ATA nor dev=ATAPI
          cdrecord-ProDVD-2.01b31 runs,
          finds LITE-ON via dev=ATAPI but not via dev=ATA
          (and complains bitterly about Linux kernels in general)

SuSE 6.4, kernel 2.2.14 , no ide-scsi
The LITE-ON burner was never used with that system.
Its Yamaha SCSI burner passed the way in 2002. (sniff)

dynamic :  doesn't find GLIBC .

static : fails on start with "Illegal Instruction"

libburn-0.2.ts :
- ./configure needs the same repair.
- make fails in libburn/sg.c with some missing
   sg_io_hdr_t , SG_DXFER_NONE , ...

cdrecord : old 1.6 cannot find ATAPI device.
           modern binaries don't run (GLIBC)

Let's get something contemporary:
RIP-14.5 , kernel 2.6.14 , no ide-scsi

dynamic : finds the SCSI CD-ROM and LITE-ON CD-RW
          (does not find IDE CD-ROM on my 2.4.21 system)
          CD-ROM reports the RIP CD-RW as blank disk (oops ?)
          The CD-RW reports a filled CD-RW as blank and
          not erasable on first try. On the next try it
          is reported as erasable. It can be blanked.
          Writing speed is about 10x. (normal: 12x)

          The first burn_disc_erasable() says it is
          appendable. The second try says it is full.
          I reload the CD-RW. Now it is reported blank.

          A remedy seems to be to grab the drive in order
          to load the tray. Then one releases it in order
          to get rid of the false status. After a second
          grab, the status is realistic.
          The drive speed is 8448 on unloaded tray and
          2112 on loaded tray.
          (On my 2.4.21 system its 4234 and 1764.)

          It looks like the drive would need more time
          to make up its mind after loading.

          burn_drive_release(drive,1) does not eject
          the drive. (Like with my ide-scsi 2.4.21)

static : works as well

libburn-0.2.ts : no compiler, RIP is a rescue system

cdrecord : works with dev=ATA:1,0,0 , dev=ATAPI:1,0,0 , dev=/dev/hdc

Have a nice day :)

Thomas