[Libburn] patch enabling arbitrary fd within burn_source

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Dec 11 12:02:07 PST 2005

Hi,

Find attached my patch against the CVS version of December 8, 2005.
(I would appreciate any hints about submitting patches properly.)

cdrskin runs with the patched CVS version (after a little
#ifdef because of the change in struct burn_progress).
So the changes seem not to be overly poisonous or incomplete.

As soon as the fate of these changes is decided i will
adapt cdrskin to the new CVS version and develop a
proposal how it could be included in libburn.
Currently its uncompressed weight is 39670 bytes.

Some comments :
I am still undecided wether i should put emphasis on the
new constructor
  struct burn_source *burn_file_source_new3(const char *path,
                                          const char *subpath,
                                          int fixed_size)

It could be obsoleted by
- refering interested users of existing fd to /dev/fd/#
  resp /proc/self/fd/#
- manipulating  source->fixed_size  directly in the application
  (currently i do this anyway for my padding workaround)
So i would not defend this new function fiercely.

On the other hand, both above gestures are not overly
clean in respect to system abstraction and data encapsulation.
So i still propose this new function.

I introduced  burn_source.delivered_bytes  and
burn_source.recent_bytes which are not used by any code outside
 file_read()  yet.

burn_source.recent_bytes tackles the problem that on error read(2)
is free to either
  return -1 immediately
or to
  return a partial buffer and report the error on the next call.

My file_read() implements the former behavior because it is too
risky to hope for a repetition of the error on the next read
call. I understand that libburn is mainly interested in reading
whole sectors.
But by help of burn_source.recent_bytes one can retrieve an
eventual valid partial buffer after  file_read()  returned -1.

So if libburn wants partial buffers on error (note: this is not
about EOF) then it should handle in  sector.c:get_bytes()
an eventual non-zero src->recent_bytes as valid data before
it starts its padding.

burn_source.delivered_bytes is just an idle counter yet.
I believe that any good data source object should have such a
counter of total bytes. Applications for that will emerge.

Is there any specification for the contract between burn_source
and burn_source.read() ?
In the API docs i only find this description:
  int read(struct burn_source *, unsigned char *buffer, int size)
  Read data from the source.
If i design my own Yoyodyne-read() what would it have to do
so it doesn't break libburn ?

I revoke all my proposals and observations concerning padding
at the end of payload data. Currently i work around that problem
by
  src->fixed_size = burn_source_get_size(src) + skin->padding;

It would be nice if someone could have a look into
the possibility to do anything with the parameter "tail" in
  burn_track_define_data()
and to have libburn track padding enabled. (I want to add
300 kB of zeros to appease certain cdrom drivers.)

I still believe there should be a change of the data type for
source size from  int  to  off_t  or  double .
But i refrain from making such an intrusive change in libburn
on my own.

My cdrskin application uses type double and will be easily
adapted to hand over to libburn any other type than int.
(50 bit accuracy should be enough for a few years.)

Whew.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas