[Libburn] Re: 64 bit off_t

Sander Sweers sander.sweers at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:17:36 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 23:47 +0100, scdbackup at gmx.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > "Large File Support" seems to be synonymous with 64-bits.
>
> Isn't there a thing called ZFS with 128 bits ?
>

> > I think in
> > the future if larger file support is needed, it will be called
> > something new like "Huge File Support" or something.
>
> How much man made digital data is out there in the world ?
> I got ~ 100 GB + 3 times backup of 70 GB = ~ 300 GB .
> You need about 50 million people like me to get 2 exp 64
> bytes of data. Hard to estimate ... but if we count all
> music CDs and movied DVDs ... i think 64 bit is reached.
>

> > It'd be nice to
> > have someone test the build on a 64bit system, but other than the
> > possibility of that breaking, I think I am satisfied with how it is
> > now.
>
> By incident yesterday morning i had a bug report for
> scdbackup under 64-bit Gentoo (which i was able to
> solve quickly after some cups of tea got me awake).

I made an ebuild for it and posted it on the forums:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-423501-highlight-.html

As soon as you can get rid of your special libburn i'll submit it to
bugs.gentoo.org. Probably will be closed with "later" but then it is
there for users to test.

> The try to recruit that user for some cdrskin testing
> is still ongoing. But there is no cdrskin on CSV-libburn
> yet. If i make some, my user is prone to the sticky
> drive problem. I will have to learn more about his system
> ... and wether he is willing to do the testing at all.
> He announced to run a fat base backup next, so i will
> probably hear from him in one or two days.

Well, i'm wanting to get rid of cdrecord if only there was a working
replacement. Now with cdrskin its getting close :)

Anyway, if you need me to do some tests let me know. I have an amd64
running 64bit gentoo. I have no programming skils but if there is
anything i can do...

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

Cu