[Libburn] Re: How to pipe stdin to CD-RW ?

Derek Foreman manmower at signalmarketing.com
Mon Jan 2 16:31:01 PST 2006

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, scdbackup at gmx.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm testing my stuff now on some Linux versions
> which i still got on an old PC.
> There are three versions of cdrskin on test:
> - cdrskin_static   compiled on my 2.4.21 system, 2.3 MB
> - cdrskin_dynamic  compiled on my 2.4.21 system, 190 kB
> - libburn-0.2.ts   to be compiled on target system
>                   contains my changes and cdrskin.c

> SuSE 7.2, kernel 2.4.4, ide-scsi :
>
> dynamic : doesn't find GLIBC . (It is a drag !)
>
> static : starts, prints help text but finds no drive.
>           (there is a LITE-ON LTR48125S on 1,0,0
>            there is a CD-ROM on real SCSI))
>
> libburn-0.2.ts :
> - ./configure fails with :
>     syntax error in 19396 :
>        for ac_header in
>  This loop runs 0 times on my more modern Linux.
>  I replaced that dull loop by a dull "if test 0 = 1".
>  Now it configues and makes.

I'll accept a reasonable patch, but I'm not so good with autoconf stuff
myself.

> - Neither test/devices nor cdrskin find the drive.
>  Seems not to be a local library problem.
>
> cdrecord : finds the LITE-ON drive as "1,0,0"

Could be device permission problems, does the libburn app have read+write
access to the sg nodes?

> SuSE 7.2, kernel 2.4.4, no ide-scsi :
>
> - Neither test/devices nor cdrskin find the drive. :(
>
> cdrecord: old 1.9 knows neither dev=ATA nor dev=ATAPI
>          cdrecord-ProDVD-2.01b31 runs,
>          finds LITE-ON via dev=ATAPI but not via dev=ATA
>          (and complains bitterly about Linux kernels in general)

iirc, 2.4 and earlier without ide-scsi are not supported, nor will they
ever be.

but for 2.6.x kernels, it is preferred to NOT use ide-scsi.

> SuSE 6.4, kernel 2.2.14 , no ide-scsi
> The LITE-ON burner was never used with that system.
> Its Yamaha SCSI burner passed the way in 2002. (sniff)
>
> dynamic :  doesn't find GLIBC .
>
> static : fails on start with "Illegal Instruction"

Not at all related to libburn, btw :)

> libburn-0.2.ts :
> - ./configure needs the same repair.
> - make fails in libburn/sg.c with some missing
>   sg_io_hdr_t , SG_DXFER_NONE , ...
>
> cdrecord : old 1.6 cannot find ATAPI device.
>           modern binaries don't run (GLIBC)

This configurationh also would need ide-scsi.

> Let's get something contemporary:
> RIP-14.5 , kernel 2.6.14 , no ide-scsi
>
> dynamic : finds the SCSI CD-ROM and LITE-ON CD-RW
>          (does not find IDE CD-ROM on my 2.4.21 system)
>          CD-ROM reports the RIP CD-RW as blank disk (oops ?)
>          The CD-RW reports a filled CD-RW as blank and
>          not erasable on first try. On the next try it
>          is reported as erasable. It can be blanked.
>          Writing speed is about 10x. (normal: 12x)
>
>          The first burn_disc_erasable() says it is
>          appendable. The second try says it is full.
>          I reload the CD-RW. Now it is reported blank.
>
>          A remedy seems to be to grab the drive in order
>          to load the tray. Then one releases it in order
>          to get rid of the false status. After a second
>          grab, the status is realistic.

Ugh, race condition.  It's possible that your drive is returning its
pre-loaded status after the load completes?

It's technically correct for the drive to report different speed
capabilities with/without a disc inserted.

>          The drive speed is 8448 on unloaded tray and
>          2112 on loaded tray.
>          (On my 2.4.21 system its 4234 and 1764.)
>
>          It looks like the drive would need more time
>          to make up its mind after loading.

Your drive returns different speed capabilities depending on which kernel
you're using?

>          burn_drive_release(drive,1) does not eject
>          the drive. (Like with my ide-scsi 2.4.21)

This is puzzling. :(

I'll see if I can duplicate it here.  My lite-on drive should be very
similar to yours.

And I'll see what I can do about waiting for the drive's status to settle
- if that's what's really causing the previous problem.