[Libburn] Project revival

Mario Đanić mario.danic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 10:05:45 PDT 2006

On 7/31/06, scdbackup at gmx.net <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> Sander Sweers wrote:
> >> What I do not understand is why you cannot join the current
> >> team of developers?
>
> > Mario Danic wrote:
> > I would ofcourse do that if the code is maintained, but to be honest to
> > everyone it isn't.
Hey

> Since not all needs of cdrskin are covered by the current
> libburn i would like to know what maintainence improvements
> you have in mind.
>
> In particular:
>
> Are you willing to make a fundamental decision about persistent
> drive addresses ? Will there be a method to operate one drive
> while not touching any other on the system ? (I got a proposal
> that is proved to work.)
Writing tickets is the way to go here :)
http://libburn.pykix.org/newticket

> Do you feel skilled to implement something like cdrecord -tao
> which allows to write a data stream of unpredicted length ?
>
> What's your development roadmap ?
Nothing special for now ....
http://libburn.pykix.org/roadmap
Will be written in more details once we have enough bug reports, and
most importantly
new features people would like to see in libburn.

> I am interested to learn about your particular motivation
> to enter libburn development. You don't do this just to
> promote Subversion, i presume.
> (My own motivation to use libburn is explained at
>   http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_eng.html#cdrecord
> Actually i'm more into backup than into burning.)

The libburn (it's python bindings which will be written as you can see
in the roadmap) are to be used in next generation backup system which
will be used in Ubuntu (Edgy+1) that is builded by a team which I am
part of.
My primary motivation behind entering libburn development is that I strongly
feel that this library has a future, and even if that future takes us
to a long period of
development, I really don't care...We'll get there someday...
It could have already been there, but the development stopped as it seems.

> Your name is significant enough to be googled. Nevertheless
> i could not make a connection to CD burning.

Bonfire and Gnomebaker contributor, nothing much tho.

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas
Kind regards,
Mario