[Libdlo] First xorg driver and udlfb 2.1

Roberto De Ioris roberto at unbit.it
Thu Jun 4 03:44:39 PDT 2009

Il giorno mer, 03/06/2009 alle 20.39 +0200, Florian Echtler ha scritto:
> Hello Phil,
>
> > Does anyone know how to make X auto-add screens? (e.g. with the help of
> > udev and HAL)
> AFAICT that's not possible at the moment. I'm no expert, but I know that
> the input device hotplug stuff alone was already quite a big change. So
> I suppose that hotplugging for graphics devices would also be a major
> step by itself. However, IIRC some people have already started thinking
> about this, not due to Displaylink devices but due to notebooks which
> have a second, dynamically switchable GPU.

Yes, for now it is impossible to do a hotpluggable driver.

Xorg provides concepts for input, card and output (where output are the
monitors/tv/projector ecc. ecc.).

Output hotplug already works, and problably the right approach (as Greg
said some week ago) is to consider DisplayLink devices as simple monitor
and let the real card do the hard work. This approach need that output
devices can be unrelated to cards, so we will have this situation:

gfx card 1 (with its driver)

output1 (DVI, card's driver managed)
output2 (mini-DVI, card's driver managed)
output3 (TV-out, card's driver managed)
output4 (DisplayLink, with its own driver to manage output generated by
the gfx card 1)

--
Roberto De Ioris